Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tax Season

     Have you done it yet? Did you sit up late one night getting all your tax documents in order so when you fianally get around to doing those 2012 taxes, the "stuff" you need will all be in one place? Do it! It makes the job so much easier and you know there will always be something missing anyways. I found this year that not all my sources sent me out "hard copies" of tax documents. Some of the ones I have online accounts for simply made them available to me online.
     Hmm, makes me wonder, what are they doing will all that saved money they are no longer spending on paper, ink, envelopes and postage? I certainly haven't seen it show up in any of my accounts or nor have I seen any reduction in costs, fees or expenses! Where are those savings going? Oh yeah, the bonuses for the executives. Don't get me started.
     I dropped off my tax "stuff" with my accountant today so I am feeling some relief ... that is until I find out if I have to pay or if I am getting a refund this year. I have used a CPA for years to manage my financial affairs, with so many different things going on it just got too complicateed for me to do it alone. If you still file the EZ way or do them yourself, why not try one of the FREE online services? I have posted 3 links here but do your own search to find the one that works for you. 1) www.IRS.gov     2) http://www.turbotax.com    or 3) www.hrblock.com . FREE tax forms are availbale online or at some local libraries. There is some free help out there ... Go to the IRS website and search for a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) location {if you made less than $51,000} or a TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) location {for 60 and older}. Check your area for places offering free help, like colleges, town offices or libraries. No matter what, get those taxes done. If you have money coming back, file early! It's your money, use it. If you have to pay, well then, you might want to wait until April 15th to give it to the government. It's your money until then!
     Until Monday, April 15th, some of us will keep putting it off and keep popping those antacids and aspirins every time we think about it. Maybe tonight is a good night to get it done?

No comments: