Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Just in Case ...

What would happen to you if you couldn't speak for yourself? You are probably carrying a cell phone so why not put your I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) information in there? Most EMT's, paramedics, hospital ER personnel, police, fireman and 1st responders are trained to check your phone and or person for anything that might help them assess your medical condition. Take a few minutes to put an I.C.E entry in your cell phone that contains at least:

* Your allergies

* Your next of kin or person to be notified

* Your current medications and medical conditions

* Your medical contact (Dr)

Be clear, such as: My husband or wife is: NAME His or her cell is: #
I have diabetes and take insulin by injection. I have a pacemaker. My doctor is Bob Martin, MD (###) ###-####
Get fancy if you need to, include more than 1 contact, list them, 1st born child, son : NAME and #, identify your blood type and all medications if you take multiple types. Mention athma, seizures, past surgeries. Speak for yourelf when you can't actually speak. If you have a smart phone, be sure to put it in a memo or under an I.C.E entry that can be viewed even when the phone is "locked". At the very least put in an entry under "home", the emegency personnel can at least start there. Do it now, you could save your own life.

No comments: